Introduction to Spabond™ 400
- Spabond™ 435: Ideal for thin bondlines such as core bonding, large surface areas and detailed work.
- Spabond™ 440: Optimised for rapid dispense from cartridges or automated mixing machines.
- Spabond™ 445: For large gap filling & filleting applications as well as high performance projects, with a black resin option available.
- Spabond™ 400FR: structural fire retardant epoxy adhesive
Why is Spabond™ 335, 340LV and 345 being replaced?
Spabond remains a key adhesive brand for Marine and industrial applications The Spabond™ 300 series is being replaced because:
- Opportunity to Improve handling and processing properties, dispensing & carbamation resistance
- Simplify the portfolio, moving from 13 to 5 components
- Improved Health & Safety
Spabond™ 400 offers customers the same benefits as the Spabond™ 300 series, with improved Health & Safety, application and performance advantages
What is changing?
Spabond™ 400 is a new product range that covers the full functionality of Spabond™ 335, 340 and 345. The simplified portfolio has 3 resins with increasing sag resistance.
- 10mm: SP335 = now SP435
- 20mm: SP340 = now SP440
- 30mm: SP345 = now SP445
All resins use the same 2 hardeners:
- Spabond™ 400 Fast: ½ hour working time
- Spabond™ 400 Slow: 3 ½ hour working time
- 6 hour thin film working time
- 15 hour clamp time
The Spabond™ 400 Range: Key Properties
|SYSTEM PROPERTIES AT 20°C||GAP FILLING||HARDENER||TYPICAL BEAD WORKING TIME||LAPSHEAR STRENGTH|
|Spabond™ 435 Ideal for thin bondlines such as core bonding, large surface areas and detailed work.||Up to 10 mm||Fast||½ hour||35 MPa|
|Slow||3 ½ hours||35 MPa|
Optimised for rapid dispense from cartridges or automated mixing machines.
|Up to 20 mm||Fast||½ hour||39 MPa|
|Slow||3 ½ hours||37 MPa|
For large gap filling & filleting applications and high performance projects, with a black resin option available.
|Up to 30 mm||Fast||½ hour||37 MPa|
|Slow||3 ½ hours||36 MPa|
|Spabond™ 400FR Structural fire retardant epoxy adhesive||Up to 20 mm||Fast||½ hour||39 MPa|
Benefits of Spabond™ 400
Spabond™ 400 Improved Handling & Application
Spabond™ 400 has been formulated to improve handling & application performance:
- Improved dispense and sag resistance recovery
- Improved manipulation & filleting performance
- Robust to high humidity application
Pproduct features chart
|SP 335||SP 340||SP 345||SP 400|
|Sag resistance recovery||★★☆☆☆||★★★★☆||★★★★★||★★★★★|
|Manipulation / Filleting||★★★☆☆||★★★☆☆||★★☆☆☆||★★★★☆|
Enhanced Curing Profile
Spabond™ 400 Series only has 2 hardener speeds: Fast and Slow
Spabond™ 400 Slow hardener combines the key characteristics of the Spabond™ 300 series Slow and Extra-Slow hardeners:
- Longest hardener thin film working time (SP345 Extra-Slow) of 6hrs
- Fastest overnight clamp time (SP340 Slow) of 15 hours
- This allows enough time to bond large structures whilst maintaining an overnight initial cure
Lapshear Strength (MPa) Adhesion Data
Improved Health & Safety
The current 300 series hardeners contain substances of very high concern (SVHCs). Gurit Internal policy and external legislation mean these need to be removed or improved. Spabond™ 400 hardeners are low toxicity formulations:
- Improved Hazard Labelling
- Free of Carcinogens, Mutagens & Reprotoxins (CMR’s)
- Free from Substances of Very High Concern (SVHC’s)
- Reduced Environmental Hazards
300 Series Fast Hardener
400 Series Fast Hardener
3rd Party Certifications
|300er Serie||Spabond™ 335||not certified||not certified||not certified|
|Spabond™ 340LV HT||✓ Certified||not certified||not certified|
|Spabond™ 345||✓ Certified||abgelaufen||not certified|
|400er Serie||Spabond™ 435||✓ Certification in progress||✓ Certification in progress||not certified|
|Spabond™ 440||✓ Certification in progress||✓ Certification in progress||not certified|
|Spabond™ 445||✓ Certification in progress||✓ Certification in progress||not certified|
|Spabond™ 400FR||not certified||not certified||✓ Certified|
Structural Fire Retardant Epoxy Adhesive
- Self-extinguishes following UL-94 type test (represents V0 classification)
- Low toxicity & halogen free
- Simple 3:1 mix ratio by volume
- Available with fast hardener
- Excellent gap filling properties
- Good thermal, mechanical & adhesive performance
- RINA Certified:
- Surface materials and floor coverings with low flame-spread characteristics
- Adhesives used in the construction of ‘A’, ‘B’ & ‘C’ class divisions
Mix Ratio – why has it changed?
The viscosity of the hardener component has a large impact on the sag resistance of the mixed system. Moving to a 3 : 1 mix ratio, reduces the amount of hardener and change in consistency of the mixed system. Allows us to have 2 hardeners for use with 3 resins with a sag resistance of 5 to 30mm.
Improved packaging concept
Correct Size Cartridge Boxes
Reduced waste & empty volume & more stable to prevent collapse in transit.
- Co-axial dispense & not side by side
- Ensure priming procedure is followed
- Existing dispensers can be used
- Up to 30% faster dispense
- Existing 900ml and 400ml dispensers can be used with minor modification (replacement of the hardener plunger)